Movement Strategy Center is seeking an organized, innovative, ambitious leader and communicator who is amiable and self-motivated, with experience in fundraising to join our team.
DIRECTOR OF INSTITUTIONAL GIVING
Job Location: Movement Strategy Center – Oakland, CA
Remote Type: Optional Work from Home
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $105,000.00 – $120,000.00
Job Shift: Day
MSC is seeking an organized, innovative, ambitious leader and communicator who is amiable and self-motivated, with experience in fundraising to join our team. The Director will grow and sustain robust relationships with institutional donors and work to significantly increase MSCs operations revenue and overall impact.
This is a full time and remote-based (US-only) role that has room for professional growth in an evolving organization.
The position reports to the Chief Advancement Officer.
About Movement Strategy Center
Founded in 2001, Movement Strategy Center over the last two decades has been a social and environmental justice incubator, serving as a movement hub for both housing visionaries and emergent networks, and providing core intermediary functions to advance ecosystem-wide impact: resourcing a robust and maturing ecosystem of leaders, networks, and projects, and offering core infrastructure support through fiscal sponsorship and philanthropic services.
In recent years, MSCs in-house incubation efforts have focused on cross-sector movement building to cultivate the power necessary to accelerate a just transition from a world of domination, extraction, and violence, where the few live at the expense of the many to a world of interdependence, liberation and resilience, where the many govern for the benefit of all. MSC centers Black, Indigenous, and people of color intergenerational systems leaders and networks that are committed to transformation and boldly leaning into the future and whose communities are most impacted by extraction, domination, and violence.
MSC understands that transformative movements change the way we think, our structures and systems, the way we live, and even who we are. We recognize that we are whole people, and whole communities, and because the issues and problems we face are interconnected, our systemic solutions and movements must be interconnected as well. The way we achieve our goals and with whom are just as important as our outcomes.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for identifying, engaging, soliciting, and closing grants and gifts from foundations and individuals to support a $7+ million organizational budget
- Identify prospective funders and develop strategies to cultivate relationships
- Provide leadership to the internal MSC leadership team collaborating on all partnership efforts that have fundraising aspects. This entails working closely with the grants management and contracts team
- Execute grant writing including: LOIs, budgets, concepts, proposals, distribution schedules and grant research
- Facilitate and optimize the Chief Advancement Officers fundraising efforts: prepare and provide information about funders and prospective funders and facilitate the logistical components of meetings
- Provide thought partnership and fundraising strategy support to the organizations in the Movement Strategy Network
- Manage all aspects of prospecting, grants and tasks management, and grant reporting for the fundraising team within Advancement
- Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Knowlegde, skills and abilities:
- Prior demonstrated experience with grant writing, and preferably experience with high-value, six-figure grants
- A record of success in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding nonprofit funders
- Extremely well-organized; a creative self-starter, capable of handling multiple tasks, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines
- Passion for the organizations mission with a desire to be an ambassador Commitment to continuous learning about and sensitivity to DEIA values
- Proven leadership and supervisory and skills desired but not required
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to collaborate effectively
- Comfort with remote work software and a tech-centric approach to work. We use Google Drive, Airtable, and Slack
- Skill in database management; familiarity with multiple database management software systems is a plus
- Significant experience with the grant management process
- Experience with community-based organizations, such as CDCs, and/or donor advised fund programs is a plus
Will manage any grant writing consultants as necessary.
Expected hours of work
Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm PST. Daily schedule is flexible within the proximity of this time frame, and will be decided in consultation with the supervisor.
This is a full-time, 100% FTE, exempt position. Annual compensation is $105,000-$120,000.
MSCs 100% FTE benefits package includes:
- 20 days vacation leave per year (15 days in the first year of employment due to mandatory 3 months wait period before accrual begins)
- 13 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year;
- 12 sick days per year;
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks; o Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution);
- 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage;
- Access to a 403b retirement plan.
- Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.
Movement Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.