Wild Virginia, a 501(c)(3) organization based in Charlottesville, Virginia, is accepting applications for the position of
Executive Director (Director). The Director will be responsible for leading this growing organization and working closely with the Wild Virginia Board of Directors (Board) to implement Wild Virginia’s strategic goals to protect and connect Virginia’s wild places. The Director will report directly to the Board of Wild Virginia.
About the Organization:
Mission Statement: Protecting and connecting Virginia’s wild places.
Vision: Wild Virginia envisions a healthy, connected landscape where everyone can find their own wild place and know how to help protect it.
Urgent efforts are needed to counter climate change, protect biodiversity, and prevent species extinction. Wild Virginia works in the priority areas where we provide the strongest leadership: holding our state government accountable for protecting our water quality and improving ecological connectivity. The guiding strategy throughout all our efforts is to leverage volunteer energy and create advocates who can help us achieve our goals. We place emphasis on engaging a multitude of diverse organizations and individuals to meet looming environmental challenges.
Areas of Emphasis and Responsibility: Leadership, Strategy, and Coordination
- Work closely with the Board to set strategic goals and ensure timely progress toward Wild Virginia’s mission.
- Assist the Board to evaluate the success of programs and campaigns.
- Work with the Board to maintain the annual budget and ensure that Wild Virginia operates in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Supervise and collaborate with the organization’s staff and volunteers.
- Maintain and enhance internal communications and teamwork throughout the organization.
- Operationalize Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice principles in Wild Virginia’s work.
- Manage official documents and ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
Development and Outreach
- Effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and Wild Virginia Development Committee to seek their involvement in fundraising and to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques.
- Effectively and positively communicate Wild Virginia’s mission, campaigns, successes, and efforts.
- Meet with partner organizations, members, and donors to build strong working relationships aligned with Wild Virginia’s strategic plan.
- Work with the Wild Virginia Communications Team to create and distribute regular, engaging outreach materials and reports and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Desired Qualifications
- The ideal candidate for this position possesses many of the following characteristics:
- Ability to envision a strong conservation future for Virginia, and an understanding of strategies, policy changes, and support required to reach that vision.
- Ability to convey the organization’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Exceptional leadership skills and experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Experience with environmental advocacy and conservation.
- Progressive community engagement experience, including organizing, directing, and supervising volunteers in a collaborative work environment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoyment working outdoors at occasional hikes and events.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) or higher is preferred.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license or alternative travel accommodations and the ability to travel within Virginia.
- Acceptable background check.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
Wild Virginia is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants who meet 75% of the description above are encouraged to apply.
Location: Charlottesville, VA. Other locations in Virginia may be considered depending on ability to travel and reliable internet connectivity. Position is currently 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Desired start date: June 1, 2022 (Position open until filled.)
Anticipated hiring range: $58,000 – $63,000 per year, depending on qualifications.
Hours: 40/week with occasional weekend and evening work required with advance notice.
Benefits: Paid vacation, Simple IRA, health insurance, travel reimbursement, professional development opportunities, family leave, voting leave, volunteer leave, flex time, and remote work.
Job type: Full-time, “exempt” position. Wild Virginia is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-971-1553 with specific questions about the position.