Why We Exist
Fat is good. “Vegetable” oils are bad. Bad for us. Bad for the planet. How bad?
Vegetable oils are terrible for human health. Regular consumption is shown to increase the risk of death by 62%, more than moderate smoking. They’re also killing the planet. Four of the top five greenhouse gas emitting crops are industrially produced seed oils. And they are hidden everywhere. The average American consumes a staggering 20% of their calories from vegetable oils.
We’re on a mission to replace these “vegetable” oils in the food system. We believe they are the biggest problem when it comes to both rising rates of chronic disease and agricultural impact on climate change and ecosystem destruction. We’re using the ancient art of fermentation to make healthier and more sustainable oils and fats. We need your help!
Read below to see if your skills can help us make this a movement that changes the world.
We’re a team of food lovers, nutrition believers, innovators, doctors, PhD’s, and problem solvers. We believe in taking care of our health and our planet’s health without sacrificing the foods we love. We started Zero Acre Farms out of concern for what we’re all involuntarily putting into our bodies and the profound effect it’s having on our health and the natural world.
Zero Acre Farms is backed by an incredible group of investors, including mission-driven VC’s, celebrities, influencers, and change makers.
Zero Acre is seeking a graphic designer to help support our growing team and workload. You are extremely organized and effective in prioritizing and spending your time. You have a proven track record in design for campaigns/product launches (email, paid ads, affiliates), retail (sell sheets etc.), and working with content teams to generate white papers and various types of infographics.
You also have experience partnering with marketing and content teams to create well-designed (and most importantly, effective) assets. You remain well informed in current graphic trends, typography, design, and health and nutrition-related products through market research to keep ahead of consumer needs, and have either a strong history in motion or interest in developing that particular muscle. Experience in the consumer packaged goods (food and beverage) space is a huge plus.
Reports to: Director of Brand Marketing, VP of Growth Marketing
Hire level: Intermediate to Senior = 3-5 years of related experience needed
- Strong attention to detail
- Extremely high design standards
- Clean and straightforward style
- Strong typography skills
- A portfolio from previous graphic design roles or contract work showcasing your abilities
- Ability to manage own time and priority of tasks without massive amounts of direct management.
- Ability to stack-rank priorities based on deliverable deadlines
- Love of fast-paced work environments (hello, startups and strong grasp on reality, especially regarding timelines for project completions
- Ability and desire to conceptualize and test new design approaches
- 3+ years of experience in fast-paced, high-growth e-commerce or marketing design role or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and responsive design
- Moderate knowledge of motion design (GIF creation, video use in ads) – with a desire to hone this skill
- Vertical video experience a major plus
- Bonus: Photo editing experience, Intermediate Motion graphics/Animated type experience
- Use a clean style to convey complicated messages about various industry topics into easy to understand graphics and design.
- Use programs in Adobe CC like Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and other commonly used graphic programs to create design assets.
- Experience with After Effects or Photoshop to create motion-graphics is a huge plus.
- Create final deliverables for emails, paid ads, digital downloads, landing pages, campaigns/promotions, events, PDFs, eBooks, social media, etc.
- Ensures quality and accuracy by proofing own work, providing proof copies for review, and revising materials according to feedback on proofs while avoiding the need for multiple rounds of feedback from others.
What We Offer
- The excitement and purpose of a mission-driven startup and the stability of a well-funded company with experienced founders and executives at the helm
- Empowered team members with minimal bureaucracy
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation time (minimum 2 weeks)
- Focus on uninterrupted deep work time every day
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage, with 401K coming soon
- Additional perks like Audible membership and free books
- Fun and engaging community. Work with driven, ambitious, health-conscious people who care about their work.
A note from our founders
The majority of Americans are sick. Let that sink in. More people have a chronic disease than not in this country! 6 out of 10. And a hundred years ago, almost no one had a chronic disease. Our healthy life expectancy is decreasing for the first time in recorded history. Our solution so far has been more prescription drugs (in 2018, the average American filled eighteen prescriptions).
Our planet is also being destroyed by the day. The Amazon loses about 2 football fields of rainforest every minute, mostly to grow industrial monocrops like seed oils that make us sick. Species extinction is at an all time high. Some projections say we only have 60 harvests left before our soil doesn’t support any more life.
The real issue? These problems are interconnected. We’re destroying the planet to grow food that makes us sick.
How is this not one of the most important, urgent, and talked about issues of our generation? We want to change that. We want to slow down and ideally reverse the skyrocketing rates of chronic disease and environmental impact caused by what we eat. We truly believe that we can save millions of lives, as well as millions of acres of rainforest, if we are successful in our mission of replacing destructive vegetable oils in our food supply.
That’s what drives us, and we hope you’ll join us.
If you are interested in applying, please include a brief cover letter, and tell us about your relevant experience, why you’re interested in this role, and what you do in your own life to improve your health and the health of the planet!